You shall not give false testimony
March 15, 2015 Series: the TEN
Topic: Sunday Message Verse: Exodus 20:16
1. What are ways I can "give false testimony" against people around me?
2. Who in my life needs to hear truth in love from me?
3. When and how should I speak to them?
Exodus 20:16 NIV
"You shall not give false testimony against your neighbor.
Exodus 23:1-3 NIV
"Do not spread false reports. Do not help a guilty person by being a malicious witness. "Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong. When you give testimony in a lawsuit, do not pervert justice by siding with the crowd, and do not show favoritism to a poor person in a lawsuit.
Your words matter!
Don't give false testimony. Tell the truth!
At its core . . .
At its core, the Ninth Commandment calls us to love others by protecting the reputation.
Why we fall into this . . .
* Jealousy * Revenge * Frustration * Habit
Truth, Love, and Wisdom
Tell the truth in love and with wisdom.
Ephesians 4:25 NIV
Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body.
Ephesians 4:29 NIV
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Ephesians 4:15-16 NIV
Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work.
1 Corinthians 13:1-2 NLT
If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing.
1. Believe the best about other people, and have grace for the rest. 2. Be careful not to listen to or add to someone else's slander. Instead take opportunities to protect other people's reputations. 3. Commit yourself to telling the truth in love and with wisdom, especially to other believers you're in relationship with.