Topic: Sunday Message Verse: 1 John 1:14
John 1:14 NIV
The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
Psalm 7:11 NIV
God is a righteous judge, a God who displays his wrath every day.
Psalm 58:11 NIV
Then people will say, "Surely the righteous still are rewarded; surely there is a God who judges the earth."
Psalm 75:7 NIV
It is God who judges: He brings one down, he exalts another.
God as a Judge
(1) His Authority (His right to judge) - God has absolute authority as our Creator and Ruler over all; (2) His Ability (how well He judges) - God is all-knowing and completely wise, His judgments are perfect; (3) His Absolutes (standards He uses) - God is truth and flawlessly determines what is morally right and wrong.
Us as Judges Over Others
(1) Our Authority (our right to judge) - we usually don't have the right or authority over another; (2) Our Ability (how well we judge) - we're not as good as we think; (3) Our Absolutes (standards we use) - we don't always know what's right for every situation or apply the truth all the time when we do know it
1 Corinthians 4:3-5 NIV
I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me. Therefore judge nothing before the appointed time; wait until the Lord comes. He will bring to light what is hidden in darkness and will expose the motives of the heart. At that time each will receive their praise from God.
James 2:11-12 NIV
For he who said, "You shall not commit adultery," also said, "You shall not murder." If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker. Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom,
"Judge Not" Foundation #1
(1) When it comes to God, be confident.
"Judge Not" Foundation #2
(2) When it comes to yourself, be repentant.
Romans 2:3-4 NIV
So when you, a mere human being, pass judgment on them and yet do the same things, do you think you will escape God's judgment? Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that God's kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
"Judge Not" Foundation #3
(3) When it comes to others, be merciful.
Luke 6:36 NIV
Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
James 2:12-13 NIV
Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.