Topic: Sunday Message Verse: Matthew 22:37–22:39, 1 John 4:7–4:12
Week one in a series that challenges us to a faith in Jesus that goes beyond one hour on Sunday and impacts our entire week.
168 = the number of hours in a week. 24 hours in a day x 7 days in a week. That’s how many hours we get every single week. No more. No less. It never changes.
"Live 168" is the challenge to think differently about our faith in Jesus Christ, moving beyond a "one hour on a Sunday" kind of mindset that many of us grew up with or might still have today. God has something different in mind for us… something better… a faith in Jesus Christ that isn’t just about going to church and checking off a box, but a faith that permeates all 168 hours of our week.
Our Mission at Hopevale
We are a community of grace and truth inviting people to know and follow Jesus. As a church we're not just a collection of individuals; we're a community of believers.
Matthew 22:37-39 NIV
37 Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
1 John 4:7-12 NIV
7 Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 10 This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. 11 Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.
Connect: Why It's Important
You can’t grow closer to God if you’re not moving closer to people. "Live 168" means not just pursuing our relationship with God, it also means pursuing our relationships with other Christians.
Connect: First Steps
Worship here more regularly
Visit with others in here and in the lobby
Stop by our Welcome Center
Attend “Get to Know Hopevale”
Connect: Next Steps
Join a Community Group
Get involved w/ an age-focused ministry (students, college, young adults, seniors)
Stop by our Connect-Grow-Serve desk
Connection Questions 9.18.16
You can’t grow closer to God if you’re not moving closer to people.
1. Of your 168 hours each week, estimate how many hours in a typical week you spend . . .
_____ On your phone for any reason
_____ In your car
_____ Preparing food and eating
_____ With other Hopevalers—at church and off campus
2. Read 1 John 1:6-7; 2:9-11; 3:14-18; and 4:7-12. At face value, what do these Scriptures teach about our connection with other believers? What strikes you most?
3. How can you know when your Community Group is becoming (as Dan said) “a community of believers rather than just a collection of individuals”? For you, what’s the proof in the pudding?
4. What’s the balance of what we give to and what we receive from relationships with other believers? What would it look like to expect too little from relationships with other Christians?
5. How much time do you think a Christian should invest regularly with others to help them grow in Christ and to grow spiritually themselves? What can your group do this year to make good spiritual investments in one another?