November 20, 2016 Series: God in Me
Topic: Sunday Message Verse: 1 Corinthians 12:1–12:11
Week six in a series about the Holy Spirit—what the Bible teaches about Him and who He wants to be for us.
One Hopevaler's Response
The Holy Spirit helps you do God’s will each day.
So in the morning, make sure you pray –
Just bow your head and quietly say:
“Dear Holy Spirit, help me today.”
Spiritual Gifts -
1. What are they?
2. Who gets them?
3. Why do we get them?
The Holy Spirit intends to make us people who unselfishly love others around us and, through the gifts He has given us, invite them to know and follow Jesus!
1 Corinthians 12:1-11 NIV
1 Now about the gifts of the Spirit, brothers and sisters, I do not want you to be uninformed. 2 You know that when you were pagans, somehow or other you were influenced and led astray to mute idols. 3 Therefore I want you to know that no one who is speaking by the Spirit of God says, “Jesus be cursed,” and no one can say, “Jesus is Lord,” except by the Holy Spirit. 4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit distributes them. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but in all of them and in everyone it is the same God at work. 7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues.#12:10 Or languages; also in verse 28 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.
My definition based on what the Bible teaches:
A spiritual gift is the unique role God intends each believer to play in the Body of Christ through the direction and power of the Holy Spirit.
How can we know what our spiritual gifts are?
• How does God tend to use you when you’re with other believers?
• What area of serving are you drawn to? Try some!
• What gifts do other believers affirm in you?
• What needs in the church bother you?
How can we know what our spiritual gifts are - tools:
• Other tools such as Trenton Gifts Assessment and Uniquely You
Why does the Holy Spirit give us gifts?
So that He can use each one of us to love and build up one another in Christ?
What are your spiritual gifts? How are you using them to help others know and follow Jesus?
1. Where would you say you are when it comes to spiritual gifts? (Pick one and share why you chose it.)
* This is all new to me!
* I know about spiritual gifts, but I’m not sure what mine are.
* I have a good idea of what my spiritual gifts are, but need to develop and use them more.
* I am developing my spiritual gifts and want to serve with more focus in the Body of Christ.
2. Read the Scriptures below and list the spiritual gifts mentioned in them. Any overlap? Any questions?
* Exodus 31:2-4
* Romans 12:4-8
* 1 Corinthians 12:7-10, 28
* Ephesians 4:11-13
* 1 Peter 4:8-11
3. What spiritual gifts have you seen in others in your group? How do you see God using them?
4. What do you think your spiritual gifts are? What do those in your group think they might be? How does or could God use your spiritual gifts to help others know and follow Jesus?
5. Read 1 Corinthians 12:14-27. What encouragement does Paul give here about spiritual gifts? What does he warn us about?
6. Would you say that you need to develop your gifts more or just be willing to serve others more? Explain.