Practical Generosity (Communion)
Topic: Sunday Message Verse: Proverbs 11:25, Proverbs 11:1, 1 Timothy 6:18–6:19,
A two-week series inviting the church to a grace-filled generous life.
Proverbs 11:25 NIV
25 A generous person will prosper;whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.
(1) It doesn’t matter how much or how little we have, anyone can become a generous person.
Expressing generosity isn't limited to those who have more than we do. We don't need to reach a certain income level before we can start being generous. The key to generosity isn’t about: “How much you have"; rather, it’s about “What you do with what you have.”
(2) Becoming a generous person doesn’t happen by accident or overnight; we must practice generosity on purpose.
Generosity is more than just a noble value. Generosity is also more than just a good feeling. In the end being generous is an action--it's something we actually do. We actually give our money away.
Proverbs 11:1 NIV
1 The Lord detests dishonest scales,but accurate weights find favor with him.
Proverbs 11:1 MSG
1 God hates cheating in the marketplace;he loves it when business is aboveboard.
Our Commitment to Financial Honest, Integrity, and Confidentiality
1. Your giving is confidential.
The pastors and elders have no knowledge of anyone's personal giving history.
2. We have many checks & balances.
3. A CPA audits our book annually.
4. We’re accountable through ECFA (Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability--the premier financial standards organization for churches and ministries)
4 Ways to Give at Hopevale
1. hopevale.org website GIVE tab (see below)
2. Hopevale mobile app GIVE button
3. Request giving envelopes (Welcome Center or Church Office)
4. Weekly offering plate ($$$/check)
GIVING CHALLENGE #1: On-Going Giving Challenge
Everyone who calls this their church home should consider giving to Hopevale on a regular basis.
GIVING CHALLENGE #2: Immediate Need Giving Challenge
We would like those in our church family to make an over-and-above gift to Hopevale of $25 or more on Giving Tuesday (Nov. 27). We will send out an all-church email this week to explain this further.
1 Timothy 6:18-19 NIV
18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.
Giving at Hopevale
Check out the giving page on our website to give online and to learn more about our approach to giving and church finances.
Everyone who considers Hopevale their church home should prayerfully consider giving in an ongoing way to the church—and then act accordingly.
1. Read Proverbs 11:1. When you buy something or have work done in your house or on your car, how do you make sure that the “scales are honest”? How important is that to you?
2. What happens when believers like us deal financially with others in an honest, aboveboard way (see 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12 and Ephesians 4:28)? What about when we don’t? What’s the fallout when that’s not happening at a church?
3. What did you think as Pastor Dan walked through our church’s financial practices on Sunday? Did you learn something new about our church? What questions do you have about how Hopevale handles your giving?
4. What does God tell us in His Word about giving to our own church? Note the main point of these verses:
· Acts 4:34-35
· Galatians 6:6-10
· Philippians 1:3-6 and 4:15-18
· Nehemiah 10:35-37
5. What has especially struck you about generous giving through this series? How will you act on it?
More in Contagious Generosity
November 11, 2018Purposeful Generosity